Building a responsible bank from our core strengths
Santander is a retail bank with a unique business model underpinned by 3 strengths.
- We maintain a leadership position in our core markets.
- Collaboration across the Group results in significant cost savings and higher revenues.
Top bank in 6 out of our 10 core marketsA
- Market share by lending.
- Non-prime auto lending.
- We serve 144 million customers in markets, with a total population of more than 1 billion people.
- We have over 100,000 people talking to our customers every day in our more than 13,000 branches and contact centres.
- We have a well-balanced distribution between mature and developing markets, and a good mix of products for individuals and companies.
- Our model of subsidiaries, autonomous in liquidity and capital, allows the Group to mitigate the risk that the difficulties of one subsidiary affect the rest.
- Subsidiaries are managed by local teams providing the best customers knowledge within their markets.
- Underlying attributable profit 2018, excluding Corporate Centre and Spain Real Estate Activity. For further details, see more information in sections 3 and 4 of the Economic and financial review chapter.
Our strengths have historically resulted in:
Higher earnings predictability
Over the last 20 years, earnings have increased x4 with low volatility
Group net operating incomeA (EUR billion)
- Net operating income = Total income-operating expenses.
- Our strong balance sheet and our model of subsidiaries make us less vulnerable to face a potentially adverse macro environment.
- Our scale and best-in-class efficiency ratio mitigate potential impacts from increases in costs of doing business.
- We are transforming our core banks while launching innovative ventures to address challenges emerging from the new digital era.
- We have a clear focus on acting responsibly to meet higher expectations from our stakeholders.
1. Excluding Chinese banks and Sberbank.